Wednesday, July 2, 2008

This Much Closer to The Martha.

My Mom has the most crazy-assed collection of Martha Stewart Living magazines you have ever seen.
I would venture to say that she probably has, in mint condition, every single one she has ever put out. 
There are several massive cupboards dedicated just to housing them.
This has been a major score for me because I love The Martha.

While reading a copy of MSL from the 90s, I happened upon an article about The M's massive McCoy pottery collection, mostly of the Butterfly line from the 30s and 40s. I instantly fell in love with the pieces, and vowed to begin collecting it myself.

I walked into the Village Antique Market in Fort Langley, yesterday, hopeful but not too hopeful about finding any McCoy at all, let alone a piece from the line I was looking for. While not too expensive these days, McCoy pieces are highly prized by their owners (especially since their popularity with the late Andy Warhol) and are not easily found.

But what did I find at the very  bottom of a shelf full of chintz, teacups and mini embriodered hoops? A canary yellow McCoy planter from the butterfly line in almost mint condition...for twenty bucks! (PICTURE FORTHCOMING...)

Wait...it gets better.

I got home and decided for fun to see if The M had a similar one to mine on her big shelf of McCoy, and she has THE EXACT SAME ONE!! That makes us BFFs, right?

I am toying with the idea of just trying to collect the ones that she has. That's not creepy, is it?

xo.h


2 comments:

Katie said...

Woah, so much activity on your blog these days!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only Martha fanatic out there. I don't know what has stopped me from buying here Weddings magazine, but rest assured I will rectify the situation shortly. I didn't know Judy was such a big Martha fan, but it all makese sense.

HT said...

you and i should have a martha magazine reading party re. your wedding. lots of wedding stuff in the vintage magazines of hers, too.

i LOVE the Martha.